In Giving, We Receive
I NEED HELP
Donate
Volunteer
Stores
Ardedia Hughes
Ardedia Hughes and her husband Rickie were recently brought to the St. Vincent de Paul Society by a social worker from Madison Center when their residence was torched in what appears to have been arson. “There was powerful smoke and we were blind trying to get from the house”. Mrs. Hughes and all of the residents of that house made it out alive with only the pajamas they were wearing. However the family dog “Princess” died inside the house. “I already miss her so much”. 

The fire was so extensive that it spread to a neighboring home, causing the 92 year-old woman living there to suffer severe burns over more than 50% of her body. “As soon as the firemen arrived, we were screaming to get our neighbor lady some help. When they pulled her out they couldn’t tell if she was breathing.” 

The Hughes’ caseworker from Madison Center recalled, “I knew that without any paper work, Ardedia might have a problem receiving help. That’s when I thought of St. Vincent de Paul”. 

Traveling with her social worker, Mrs. Hughes immediately came to St. Vincent’s dressed only in her nightshirt and pants that she had borrowed from a neighbor. Here, we were able to give her assistance at the lowest point of her life, outfit her with a basic wardrobe and listen to her story. 

Reflecting on her experience she stated, “When I’m down and out, St. Vincent has it for me. They have always been a blessing". 










.................................

"There was powerful smoke and we were blind trying to get from the house" 

................................

"When I’m down and out, St. Vincent has it for me. They have always been a blessing"

.................................